• Payments and Transfers
  • Disputes and Limitations
  • My Account
  • My Wallet
  • Login & Security
  • Seller Tools

What can I do if I sent a payment to the wrong email address?

If you sent a payment to the wrong email address and the payment is unclaimed, you can cancel it. Go to your Activity, find the payment and click Cancel

If the payment is completed, ask the recipient to refund you. Go to your Activity and select the payment you want refunded. Use the contact details to get in touch with the recipient and request a refund.

If you don’t hear back from the recipient, you can open a dispute within 180 days of the payment date. However, you can’t report a problem for payments sent as “Family and Friends.”

Here's how to open a dispute on the web:

  1. Go to the Resolution Center.
  2. Click Report a Problem.
  3. Select the payment and click Continue.
  4. Select the reason for your dispute, such as:
    • I didn’t receive the item purchased.
    • The product or service is not as described.
    • I have a billing issue
  5. Add any relevant information and click Submit.
Was this article helpful?

More ways we can help

Resolution Center
Fix transaction and account related issues
Community Forum
Join the discussion with PayPal customers
Tax center
Get your 1099-K and other tax info here
Business Help
Get help with using any of our PayPal products
Technical Help
Find out how PayPal works for your business
Contact Us
Contact customer service
Message Center
Send, receive, and view your PayPal messages
How are we doing?
Take our survey