Why is my PayPal payment on hold?
When a payment is on hold, the funds you've received for this transaction are in your PayPal account but temporarily not available for use. Delaying funds availability is a common industry practice we implement to maintain a safer PayPal network for both buyers and sellers. By placing the payments on hold, we want to make sure that there are enough funds in your PayPal account to resolve any issues that may arise with your transactions, such as chargebacks or disputes.
We'll email you if a payment you received is on hold. You can also check the payment status anytime on your Activity page.
Here are some common reasons why a payment may be temporarily unavailable:
- You’re a new seller with PayPal, or you’re an established seller but have opened a new account. It takes time to build up enough history of successful transactions.
- You haven’t sold in a while. Previously inactive accounts may be subject to payment holds while rebuilding a positive selling history.
- You receive a large number of reversals, disputes, or chargebacks. We suggest that you communicate with your customers often and work with them to resolve any concerns. If your customer filed a dispute or chargeback because someone illegally used their PayPal account to make the transaction, please hold off on shipping any items.
- Your selling pattern has changed. For example, the sales volume increases abnormally, or there’s a change in your average selling price, business platform, or type of item being sold.
- The transaction involves higher-risk items, including tickets, gift cards, consumer electronics, computers, and travel packages.
If there aren’t any issues with your transaction or account, the payment will typically be available to you within 21 days after receipt (the funds may not be released until later in the day). You may also get your payment sooner if you fulfil the order faster and update the order status in the transaction details. If a dispute or claim has been filed on the payment, the funds will be held until the case is resolved.
Note: Payment holds on eBay sales are different from regular PayPal payment holds. You can learn more about eBay payment holds and contact eBay for assistance.
For more details regarding different types of payment hold, please view our User Agreement.