Ask our Business Community
How do I resolve a negative balance in my PayPal account?
Your PayPal account balance could become negative if your transaction is reversed for any reason, such as a chargeback or a lost claim, and there aren’t enough funds in your account to cover for the amount.
In such cases, you must reimburse PayPal for the amount of the reversed transaction, plus any associated fees incurred by PayPal. Please resolve your negative account balance as soon as possible. If the negative balance isn’t resolved within 120 days, your account may be locked and you won’t be able to log in to your PayPal account.
To resolve a negative balance, you can add funds to your account following the steps below:
- Go to your Account Summary.
- Click Top Up under "PayPal balance" on the left of the page.
- Choose an option to add funds to your account.
- Click Continue and follow the instructions.
You can choose from the following options to pay your negative balance:
- Add funds using your debit or credit card
- Top up your PayPal account with funds from your bank account
- Add funds by mailing a cheque in USD to PayPal
If your account has a negative balance, we may set-off the negative balance with any funds you receive into your account or with the funds you have in a different currency balance. Pending withdrawals may also be cancelled on the account.
You were logged out to help protect your account.