To help protect our customers in case something goes wrong, payments you receive may be temporarily held in your pending balance. Assuming there are no buyer disputes, this money will be moved into your available balance within 21 days. They may be available sooner if we can establish there are no issues with the order. Through holds we help to ensure that there are funds in the seller’s account to cover potential claims, chargebacks and returns
Who does this impact?
We set aside payments to ensure there are funds in the seller’s account to cover potential claims, chargeback and returns. Here are a few examples of why your payments may be placed into a pending balance.
- You are new to selling on eBay or off eBay
- You have a limited history of on eBay or off eBay selling activity.
- You have been a PayPal seller for less than 6 months
- If selling on eBay, you have an eBay feedback score fewer than 100 and have not yet established a good record as a seller
- You have received fewer than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings on eBay in the last 12 months or your eBay seller performance is below standard
- You have a high rate of customer disputes or a low eBay feedback percentage
- You have a sudden change in selling activities (e.g. you’re suddenly selling expensive items, selling large numbers of items, etc.)
- You happen to be selling in a high risk category such as tickets, travel, gift vouchers, consumer , electronics, smart phones , etc.
Depending on the circumstances, we may set aside payments for a single transaction or for all payments to sellers who meet the criteria above.
When does the payment get released?
The funds in your pending balance will typically be released and available for withdrawal 21 days after the payment has been made. They may be released earlier if we are able to determine that the transaction has been fulfilled and that your customers are satisfied (e.g.: if your buyer leaves positive feedback for eBay items; if you mark the item as shipped or as processed for an intangible or digital item).
How can I get my money before 21 days?
We know it’s frustrating to not have immediate access to your money, but there are some things you can do to reduce the likelihood of having a payment being set aside in a pending balance.
- Post your orders right away and communicate early and often with your buyer
- Leave feedback for your eBay buyers and encourage them to do the same
- Ensure items are well packaged, secure and sent to the correct address