Payflow Pro: How It Works
This page will help you to:
- Set up your Payflow Pro account
- Integrate Payflow Pro into your website
- Understand how Payflow Pro works
Set Up Your Payflow Pro Account
Before you set up Payflow Pro, complete these steps:
- Set up an internet merchant account with an acquiring financial institution and install a valid Secure Socket Layer (SSL) certificate to process online payments. If you need an internet merchant account, call us at 1-888-847-2747. Or, you can also use an existing internet merchant account.
- Many shopping carts have the Payflow Pro gateway built in. Check the
Shopping Cart List or your hosting service.
- Have your business ownership, and contact information ready before you order.
- Purchase Payflow Pro
Integrate Payflow Pro Into Your Website
You’ll need to know HTML and web development tools and procedures - like using Software Development Kits (SDKs) and installing API clients on your server - to integrate Payflow Pro. A professional web developer can usually complete the integration in 3-4 hours.
To integrate Payflow Pro, complete these steps:
- If your shopping cart is not already integrated, log in to PayPal Manager and download the User’s Guide and SDK.
- Install the Payflow Pro gateway API client on your server.
- Enter your account settings using PayPal Manager.
- Send several test transactions. Use PayPal Manager to confirm that they were processed correctly.
If you need help, Payflow Pro includes:
- Email and web support 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Basic telephone support from 5:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Monday-Friday PST (except holidays).
- You can also purchase additional technical support packages. Call 1-888-847-2747 to speak to a sales representative.
- If the test transactions are okay, click on the Go Live banner in PayPal Manager to begin processing customer payments.
Understanding How Payflow Pro Works
- Customers make purchases through your website, using your storefront.
- Your storefront application passes the transaction data to the Payflow Pro gateway client.
- The client sends the data to PayPal, and the Payflow processing cycle begins. We securely route your customer’s information through the network of processors and financial institutions.
- Your customer’s bank authorizes or declines the transaction and notifies PayPal.
- Upon approval, PayPal sends you a confirmation. The entire approval process usually takes less than three seconds.
- You decide whether or not to settle the transaction. When you settle the transaction, your bank credits your merchant account.