Problems happen. Shipments get delayed. Emails get blocked. PayPal Dispute Resolution is an easy way for sellers and buyers to communicate with each other by posting messages on PayPal so they can resolve issues and avoid claims.
If you resolve a buyer dispute through PayPal Dispute Resolution or win a PayPal claim, you're protected against chargebacks for that transaction.
To be covered, you must honor agreements made during the PayPal Dispute Resolution process. If a chargeback comes in before the dispute or claim is resolved, you will not be covered. Learn more with the Chargeback Guide and Chargeback FAQ.
How PayPal Dispute Resolution works.
- If your buyer is not aware of PayPal Dispute Resolution, advise them to open a dispute in the Resolution Center.
- In the Resolution Center, your buyer can read a customer service message you’ve posted about shipping delays or other issues. Often, this is enough to stop the PayPal Dispute Resolution process before it begins.
- If the buyer decides to pursue PayPal Dispute Resolution, they describe their concerns in the online form.
- You're notified of the new dispute by email and on your account overview page.
- You and the buyer communicate directly on the PayPal site. If you don’t respond, the buyer may escalate the issue to a PayPal claim.
- If the problem remains unresolved, the buyer (or seller) may escalate the dispute to a PayPal claim. If this happens, PayPal will review the case and render a decision.
- If the dispute is not escalated to a claim within 20 days, it will be closed automatically.
For further details, view the step-by-step tutorial.
Post a customer service message to your buyers.
PayPal Dispute Resolution lets you enter a message that all your buyers will see before filing a dispute. For example, "Shipments to Canada are currently delayed because of bad weather." These notices can help prevent misunderstandings and in many cases resolve the buyer’s concerns before a dispute is filed. Post a message now
Additional resources for sellers.
To learn more about Selling Safely, go to:
- How We Help Protect Sellers. How PayPal helps keep your transactions safe.
- Tips to Sell Securely. How you can ensure that a transaction goes smoothly.
- Resolving Issues for Sellers. How to respond to buyer disputes, claims, and chargebacks.