Help Center - Personal Account
  • Home
  • Payments and Transfers
  • Disputes and Limitations
  • My Account
  • My Wallet
  • Login & Security
  • Seller Tools

I want my money back. Can I cancel a payment?

Canceling a completed payment immediately is generally not an option because the other party already has the money.

When you authorize a payment to a merchant, you agree to make a purchase for a specified amount. Once an order is placed, it’s not possible to change the payment amount or number of items purchased.

Contacting the seller is usually the best way to resolve a problem. You can find their contact details by going to your Activity and selecting the payment. They may be able to issue a refund or help with a return.

Otherwise, your can file a dispute within the correct dispute-filing timeframe.

Here's how to open a dispute on the web:

  1. Go to the Resolution Center.
  2. Click Report a Problem.
  3. Select the payment and click Continue.
  4. Select the reason for your dispute, such as:
    • I didn’t receive the item purchased.
    • The product or service is not as described.
    • I have a billing issue
  5. Add any relevant information and click Submit.

To open a dispute on the app:

  1. Go to Recent activity and tap on the transaction you want to report.
  2. Scroll to the bottom and tap on Report a Problem.
  3. Select the type of issue you have, including any relevant details, and tap Submit.

In a dispute, you can message the seller through PayPal to try to resolve any issues. If you cannot resolve the dispute, you have 20 days to escalate the dispute to a claim. In a claim, we investigate the case and decide the outcome.

You can check the progress of a dispute or claim at any time in your Resolution Center.

More ways we can help

We’ll use cookies to improve and customize your experience if you continue to browse. Is it OK if we also use cookies to show you personalized ads? Learn more and manage your cookies