Why can't I add my credit or debit card to my PayPal account?
If you've tried to link your credit or debit card to your PayPal account, but received an error message, it may be because:
- The billing address you've entered for your PayPal account is different than the one on your card statement.
What to do: Check your card statement to ensure both addresses match. If you are sure you've entered the information correctly, please call the card company to find out what they have on file. Sometimes, after a recent move, the information may take longer to be updated.
- A card can only be linked to one PayPal account at a time.
What to do: If your card is added to another PayPal account, remove it and then add it to your new one.
- Your card company did not accept the small authorization sent by PayPal when you attempted to add the card.
What to do: Call your card company to find out why they are rejecting the authorization from PayPal. After they resolve the issue, try adding your card again.
- You linked your card to your PayPal account, but entered the card security code (CSC) incorrectly 3 times.
What to do: Call us. We can help you to finish linking your card. We may ask you to provide some additional information.
- You have 24 linked cards on your account.
What to do: Remove at least one credit card from your account. You can only have 24 linked cards on your account at once.