Why is my payment on hold or unavailable?
We may hold payments for a variety of reasons, based on the activity of the account. Check your account for specific reasons as to why we are holding your payment and to learn how you can release it.
You’re a new seller with PayPal or an established seller who has opened a new account.
- If you have a new PayPal account, it can take time to build up a positive reputation as a seller.
You haven’t sold in a while.
- When your selling activity has been dormant for a long time, it'll take time to rebuild a positive reputation as a seller.
Multiple customers reported problems or requested refunds.
- We recommend working with your customers to solve any problems.
Your selling pattern appears to have changed or seems unusual.
- Unusual selling patterns include an unexpected surge in sales, a change in business type, a change in average selling price, or the type of item being sold.
You’re selling higher-risk items.
- Higher-risk items can include event tickets, consumer electronics, travel packages, and gift cards.
You’ve received a payment for goods and services instead of payment for friends and family.
- The sender selected "For goods and services" instead of "For friends and family” as a payment type. You should get your money 7 days after confirming the order status as Completed.
For tax holds, check Tax Holds | Backup withholding | PayPal US