What is PayPal for Marketplaces?
PayPal for Marketplaces is a comprehensive payments solution for marketplaces, crowdfunding platforms, and other environments where people buy and sell goods and services or raise money. A marketplace allows buyers to purchase goods and services from multiple providers under the umbrella of a single marketplace partner. The solution is ideal if you run a multi-party commerce platform and want a flexible, end-to-end solution for processing payments.
PayPal for Marketplaces supports a variety of common business types, including:
- Physical goods
- E-commerce hosting services, such as payment processing and shopping cart hosting
- Crowdfunding for personal projects or nonprofit ventures
As the marketplace partner, you manage the marketplace with the option of charging your merchants a service fee. Service fees provide revenue and fund the costs of marketplace operation, including:
- Maintaining a technology infrastructure
- Payment processing
- Fraud and risk management
- Customer protection
PayPal for Marketplaces enables merchants to accept payments in up to 25 currencies across the globe. Customers can pay via credit or debit cards, local payment methods, or PayPal wallet payments. PayPal manages the risk inherent in processing payments. Our streamlined onboarding process gets merchants ready to accept payments quickly.
We offer two types of integration paths for PayPal for Marketplaces:
- The Connected path, where each PayPal merchant assumes financial liability. All merchants must have PayPal Business accounts. PayPal holds responsibility for fraud and merchant management.
- The Managed path, where the partner controls the customer experience, handles disputes, and assumes transaction risk, while PayPal handles payment processing. Merchants aren't required to have PayPal Business accounts.