How do I view the status of my refund in my PayPal account?
To view the status of your refund in your Activity:
- Go to Activity.
- Select your date range located to the left of the search bar.
- Click Filters and select Refunds.
- Click the refunded transaction to view the details.
Where is your refund sent?
How your PayPal payment was funded determines how your refund is returned:
- If your payment came from your card, it will be refunded to that card. Depending on your card issuer, it may take up to 30 days to complete a refund.
- If your payment came from your bank account, it will be refunded to that bank account.
- If your payment came from your PayPal balance, it will be refunded to your PayPal balance.
- If you paid part with your PayPal balance and the rest with your debit or credit card, we'll refund the amount paid by debit or credit card directly to the card, and the rest to the PayPal balance.
- If you paid part with your PayPal balance and the rest with your bank account, we'll refund the amount paid by bank account directly to that bank and the rest will return to the PayPal balance.
Refunds involving a currency conversion
If the original payment involved a currency conversion and the refund is issued:
- within 1 day of the date of the original payment: we will use the transaction exchange rate applicable on the date of the original payment, so that you receive the original amount (including the currency conversion you paid)
- 1 day or more after the date of the original payment: we will use the transaction exchange rate applicable at the time of the refund. This means that you may not receive the full amount of your original payment due to the fluctuations in exchange rates.
Is your refund pending?
There are a few reasons why your refund might be pending, such as:
- The refund was sent to an email address that isn't confirmed. PayPal payments can't complete until a your email address is confirmed on your PayPal account.
- Banking delays are holding up the refund. Banking delays can sometimes delay refunds by up to 5 working days.
Refunded or Partially Refunded: If your refund status is 'Refunded' or 'Partially Refunded', it means that the refund is complete. The money should be back in your PayPal balance, in your bank account or on your card.
Refunds will remain pending until the sender's funds have cleared their bank.
Refunds made less than 180 days after payment will refund to your credit or debit card if it was the original source of payment. Refunds may take 30 days to appear on your next card statement.
Refunds made more than 180 days after the original payment are considered new payments and will post to your PayPal balance, minus regular fees for receiving payment.
Learn more about returns and refunds in India.