How do I report an unauthorised transaction or account activity?
If you notice a payment that you haven't authorised, let us know straight away through our Resolution Centre. There's no time limit on how long you have to report an unauthorised transaction.
To report unauthorised activity on the web:
- Go to the Resolution Centre.
- Click Report a problem.
- Choose the payment you want to report and click Continue.
- Choose "I want to report unauthorised activity".
- Follow the steps to report the payment.
Once you've filed an unauthorised transaction, we'll investigate it. You'll receive an email within 10 days.
Some charges may appear unfamiliar but are legitimate and authorised. Before filing a case, make sure the suspicious activity wasn't from a family member using your PayPal account or from an automatic payment such as a subscription.
To cancel an automatic payment on the web:
- Go to Settings.
- Click Payments.
- Click Manage automatic payments.
- Select the merchant's name or email address and click Cancel.
To cancel an automatic payment on the app:
- Tap Payment Methods.
- Tap Automatic payments.
- Tap the merchant.
- Tap Remove PayPal as your payment method.
- Tap Remove to confirm the cancellation.
To request a refund for a completed payment, you’ll need to contact the seller.
Was this article helpful?
Long time user, no account freezes or chargebacks, "You can't use PayPal anymore" - what's going on? (1249 views)