Ways to combat scam email and websites.
Remember, when it comes to phishing, you are in control. To protect your personal financial information, ignore the requests in the email.
- Never provide any information.
- Never click on any link that seems suspicious.
How to report a phishing email.
We take online fraud seriously by investigating phishing emails reported to us. Follow these steps:
- Forward the entire email to email@example.com.
- Do not alter the subject line or forward the message as an attachment.
- Delete the suspicious email from your email account.
We’ll let you know quickly if the email is legitimate. Your vigilance helps protect other PayPal users.
A genuine PayPal email will never ask for:
- Credit and debit card numbers
- Bank account numbers
- Driver's license numbers
- Email addresses
- Your full name
A genuine PayPal email will never include:
Use tools to fight phishing.
We have assembled helpful resources to protect you from identity theft and to single out potential fraud sites:
More steps to protect you from phishing.
- Monitor your PayPal account. Check your account periodically for suspicious activity. If you notice unauthorized use, report it to us. PayPal protects you 100% against unauthorized payments sent from your account.
- Keep security software current. Update your firewalls and security patches frequently.
- Be smart about your password. Change passwords often and use unique passwords that include letters, numbers, and symbols.
Additional resources for everyone.
To learn more Online Safety Essentials, go to:
- Tips for Everyone. See how you can stay safe when you're online.
- Security Tools. Security measures to ensure your protection.
- Useful Links. Partnerships with outside agencies dedicated to your security.