Help Article

Help Center > Payments/Cancel a payment > Can I cancel a payment for goods and services that I've already sent?

Can I cancel a payment for goods and services that I've already sent?

You can only cancel unclaimed payments. They can be cancelled for the following reasons:
  • A payment sent to an email address that isn't associated with a PayPal account. Once the email address is added to a PayPal account, the payment is automatically credited to the balance of that account.
  • A payment is sent to a recipient with an unconfirmed email address. For security reasons, PayPal can only credit payments sent to a confirmed email address.
Here's how to cancel a payment for goods and services:
  1. Go to your Activity page. (This link may ask you to log in)
  2. Click Cancel in the Order status/Actions column of the transaction in question.
  3. Click Cancel Payment.
Once a payment is marked as completed, it can no longer be canceled. However, you can request a refund of a completed payment.

You can request a refund up to 180 days after you pay for your item.

If your seller doesn’t agree to refund your money, you can open a dispute in your Resolution Center. You can do so if you didn’t receive your item or you received something that doesn’t match the seller’s description. (You have to open a dispute with PayPal within the timeframe noted in the transaction details.)

In your Resolution Center, you can communicate directly with the seller and try to resolve the problem.

  • If 'Cancel' isn't an option in the Order status/Actions column, the payment has been claimed and can't be cancelled.
  • If you cancel an eCheck payment or Instant Transfer for goods and services, the payment amount will be withdrawn from your US bank account but credited back to your PayPal account balance. If you can't cancel the payment, then you still have the option to request a refund.

We’re sorry, the page you’re looking for is no longer available. Please try your search again in our Help Center if you have a question or want to contact us.