Payflow Link Gateway: How It Works
This page will help you to:
- Set up your Payflow Link account
- Integrate Payflow Link into your website
- Understand how Payflow Link works
Set Up Your Payflow Link AccountBefore you set up Payflow Link, complete these steps:
- Set up an internet merchant account with an acquiring financial institution to process online payments. If you need an internet merchant account, call us at 1-888-847-2747. Or, you can also use an existing internet merchant account.
- Many shopping carts have the Payflow Link gateway built in. Check the Shopping Cart List or your hosting service.
- Have your business ownership and contact information ready before you order.
- Purchase Payflow Link
Integrate Payflow Link Into Your Website
You’ll need the ability to add a small piece of HTML to integrate Payflow Link into your website.
To integrate Payflow Link, complete these steps:
- After you purchase Payflow Link, log in to PayPal Manager. It provides step-by-step instructions to integrate Payflow Link into your website.
- Follow PayPal Manager’s instructions to add a small piece of HTML to your site. The code connects your order interface to a secure, PayPal-hosted order form.
- Customize the look and feel of the PayPal-hosted order form with PayPal Manager. You can add your company logo and specify body and text colors.
- Enter your account settings using PayPal Manager.
- Send several test transactions. Use PayPal Manager to confirm that they were processed correctly. If you need help, free email support is available.
- If the test transactions are okay, click the Go Live banner in PayPal Manager to begin processing customer payments.
Understanding How Payflow Link Works
- Customers order from the PayPal-hosted order form. It prompts them to enter their payment information and submit the order.
- PayPal collects the transaction information and the Payflow processing cycle begins. We securely route your customer’s information through the network of processors and financial institutions.
- Your customer’s bank authorizes or declines the transaction and notifies PayPal.
- Upon approval, PayPal sends you a confirmation. The entire approval process usually takes less than three seconds.
- You decide whether or not to settle the transaction.
- When you settle the transaction, your bank credits your merchant account.