Why did I get API error code 10501?
PayPal returned error 10501 - Invalid Configuration. This transaction cannot be processed due to an invalid merchant configuration.
Multiple issues, explained in the next few paragraphs, can produce this error:
- You're trying to process payments on PayPal using a method that isn't enabled on your account. Most commonly, this happens when you select PayPal Payments Pro or PayPal Payments Advanced in your shopping cart without activating these products in your account.
- You have yet to agree to the PayPal Billing Agreement, or it has somehow become disabled or inactive.
PayPal product not activated
Check that you've been approved on PayPal for the product you selected in your shopping cart. You can also switch to a free product like Express Checkout or PayPal Payments Standard.
To apply for one of these products, log in to your account and click Contact at the bottom of any PayPal page.
Billing agreement disabled or inactive
Here's how to find the billing agreement on the PayPal Live site:
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- Select Profile > Profile and settings.
- Click My Money.
- Click Update next to My preapproved payments. The My preapproved payments page displays all billing agreements and whether they're disabled or inactive.
If you get this error in the Sandbox environment, see How do I set up Payflow Pro with PayPal Sandbox?