Help Center answers
How do I choose a payment method?
Your PayPal account balance is usually the first payment method used to fund a transaction. When you don’t have enough money in the required currency in your PayPal account balance, we will use the available funds and use your backup funding source (credit card or US bank account) for the remaining amount. If you don’t have money in the required currency in your PayPal account balance, we will use a different payment method on your account. Other payment methods can include your credit card or US bank account.
* We always try to use the cheapest funding source available on your account so that you will avoid having to pay currency conversion charges when possible.
- You cannot set a default payment method on your account but you may be able to change it for individual transactions. To change the payment method for a transaction, click the Change or More Funding Options on the ‘Review your Payment’ page.
- You cannot change your payment method after you send a payment.
- Adding a debit or credit card or bank account to your PayPal account gives you more ways to send money.
- An instant transfer is an automatic withdrawal of funds from your bank account to cover the cost of a purchase.
- The default method of payment - after your PayPal balance - may vary depending on what funding methods are available on your account.
- If you choose to change your payment method, you must do this for each payment that you send.