Help Center answers
Can I cancel a payment that I've already sent?
You can cancel only unclaimed payments. If your payment is complete, please contact the recipient of the payment to request a refund. Unclaimed payments can be cancelled for the following reasons:
- A payment sent to an email address is not associated with a PayPal account. Once the email address is added to a PayPal account, the payment is automatically credited to the balance of that account.
- A payment is sent to a recipient with an unconfirmed email address. For security reasons, PayPal can only credit payments sent to a confirmed email address.
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- Click the My Account tab.
- Click the History subtab.
- Click Cancel in the Order status/Actions column of the transaction in question.
- Click Cancel Payment.
Note: If Cancel is not an option in the Order status/Actions column, the payment has been claimed and cannot be cancelled.
If you cancel an eCheck payment or Instant Transfer, the money will be withdrawn from your bank account but credited back to your PayPal account balance. If you can't cancel the payment, then you still have the option to request a refund.