Why was my credit card denied?
To help protect your account, PayPal uses a complex screening process for card payments. This helps prevent lost or stolen cards from being used for unauthorized transactions. On rare occasions, the screening process affects valid cards.
A debit or credit card might also be declined if:
- The card issuer is having technical problems that prevent authorization of a transaction.
- The card issuer sees a charge that doesn’t fit your normal spending patterns and blocks the transaction to protect you.
- You’ve inadvertently exceeded the limit on your card.
If you know that your card is valid but your payment doesn’t go through, you might want to:
- Contact your credit card issuer directly. Ask why your card was declined, and whether you can still use it. If you can still use your card, please try your transaction again.
- Pay securely online using your bank account. You can link your bank account to your PayPal account in just a few minutes. The merchant never sees your financial or other personal information.
- Link a different card to your PayPal account.