How do I make a refund?
Refund within 180 days of payment
Here's how to make a full or partial refund within 180 days following the date of the original payment:
- Go to your Activity page.
- Click the transaction you want to refund and then click Refund this payment.
- For "Refund amount," enter the amount you want to refund, (you may have the option to refund a partial amount of the payment) and click Continue.
- Review your information to make sure you entered the correct refund amount and click Issue Refund.
- For bank account payments, the refund is credited to the sender's bank account.
- For PayPal balance payments, the refund is credited to the sender's PayPal balance.
- For credit card payments, the refund will be credited to the sender's card (it can take up 30 days depending on the card issuer).
- For payments made with both a credit card and another payment method, the amount paid by card will be credited to the card and the rest to the PayPal balance of the sender.
Refund after 180 days of payment
To make a full or partial refund after 180 days following the date of the original payment, go to the Transfers section of your PayPal account.
In such instances, the payment will be credited to the PayPal balance of the recipient. However, fees for this transfer and any fees incurred during the original transaction will not be refunded.
If a buyer receives a refund using "Send money" while the 180-day period has not yet passed, they can decline it and ask the seller to use the link Issue a refund described above.