Upcoming Policy Updates
This page informs customers in advance of important changes to the PayPal service, our User Agreement, or other policies. This page displays policy updates with future effective dates. Go to “Past Policy Updates” for previous policy updates.
Updates to the Canada User Agreement
We are unveiling an entirely redesigned User Agreement for our Canadian customers. We’ve worked hard to make this new User Agreement a more user friendly experience with content that makes it easier for you to understand your rights and obligations when it comes to using PayPal’s products and services.
Here’s what we’ve done:
- We’ve redesigned the User Agreement to simplify its format, with new color-coded headings so you can more easily find the information most relevant to your account.
We’ve revised and reorganized the content of the User Agreement to be easier to follow and to include information where you’d intuitively look for it. Except as described in B. below, we are not changing the meaning of what we say, only how we say and show it. Highlights of the updates found in the new User Agreement:
- We’ve included additional detail on a number of topics including: opening and closing an account, withdrawing money, and managing money in multiple currencies.
- We’ve also included additional detail on which payment method will be used for your transactions, and we’ve clarified that you’ll now be able to pick any funding source in your PayPal account as a preferred payment method when shopping online with PayPal.
- We’ve moved the fee table for domestic and international peer-to-peer (P2P) transactions with friends and family members to a link in the new User Agreement. As always we’ll continue to clearly present these fees at the time of each transaction.
- We’ve moved the descriptions for some of our services from the User Agreement to separate pages on our site. In each case, the terms that apply to these services are not changing and can be found on our website.
- In addition to redesigning the User Agreement, we are making some other changes, here are the highlights:
- We’re correcting an error in our posted charity rate for donations made from outside of the U.S. and Canada from 1.6% to 2.6%.
- We’re correcting an error in the fixed fee table for sending friends & family Euro transactions to recipients in France from € 0.25 to € 0.35.
- We are aligning our signature confirmation requirements for buyers and sellers.
- We are clarifying the ways PayPal users can spend PayPal balance with third parties and the ways the ways PayPal users can send PayPal balance to other PayPal users
- We’re clarifying our intentions with respect to customer balances we hold in trust to help ensure that our customer balances will be held in trust.
- We’re updating the requirements for coverage of Unauthorized Transactions under our Seller Protection program to require that the payment must have been made in connection with a transaction where the buyer logged into their PayPal account to complete the transaction in order for sellers to be covered under the program.
- We’re updating the list of items not eligible for our Purchase Protection Program to include payments to any bill payment service.
- We’re updating the eligibility requirements for the Purchase Protection program.
- We’re clarifying that certain checkout transactions will require a backup funding source.
- We’re clarifying our legal set off rights in situations where a customer holds multiple accounts.
- We’re clarifying how we calculate transaction exchange rates where we perform a currency conversion.
- We’re adding terms providing that a hold may be placed on a payment sent to you at the instruction of the marketplace, if you sell on a marketplace and accept payment through your PayPal account.
- We’re clarifying that sellers have certain obligations under applicable law around how they collect, store and protect user data of customers in Europe.
The terms of the new User Agreement will take effect on August 9, 2018.
We will continue to keep your information secure, and we will never share, sell or rent your personal data with third parties for the third parties’ own purposes without your consent. A few notable updates include:
- More Detailed Explanations: We’ve included more details about important features of our services and when you connect your PayPal account to third-party websites and platforms.
- Customized Experiences: We clarified how we may provide you with customized experiences on PayPal properties. We also explain how you can choose to limit the use of your information.
Updates to Other Agreements
We have also made changes to our PayPal Website Payments Pro and Virtual Terminal Agreement, PayFlow Gateway Services Agreement and PayFlow Gateway Services Agreement for Resold Merchants, as follows:
- We are clarifying that certain fees we charge, e.g. subscription fees, may be subject to applicable value-added taxes. If taxes are applicable, they will be disclosed on merchant statements.
- We are clarifying that sellers have certain obligations under applicable law around how they collect, store and protect user data of customers in Europe.
These changes will be effective on August 9, 2018. If you do not agree to these changes, you must close your PayPal account before August 9, 2018.