Upcoming Policy Updates
This page displays policy updates informing users in advance of important changes to the PayPal service, its User Agreement, or other policies. Please go to “Past Policy Updates” for previous policy updates.
AMENDMENTS TO CERTAIN CANADIAN PAYPAL AGREEMENTS
We are updating the PayPal agreements listed below for all PayPal users in Canada. The changes described below will go into effect on March 20, 2020, unless otherwise noted. There is no action needed from you, as the changes will occur automatically on the effective date above. In the event you would prefer to decline the changes and close your account, you can do so prior to the effective date and the changes will not apply to you.
Amendments to the PayPal Account User Agreement for Sellers
- We are clarifying how merchants must treat PayPal marks and payment methods offered at points of sale.
- We are requiring that merchants publish customer service information, including at least one email address or customer service URL, and a telephone number, which must be readily accessible for review by merchants’ customers.
- We are clarifying that merchants must cooperate with PayPal’s reasonable requests for financial statements and other information in a timely fashion.
- We are establishing that if merchants refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees originally paid by the merchant will not be returned. This change will become effective on May 19, 2020.
Amendments to the Payflow Gateway Services Agreement
- We are revising the notice provisions to align with the PayPal Account User Agreement.
- We are adding Account Updater functionality terms and conditions, which functionality will be provided to all Payflow Gateway Services merchants that also use the Recurring Billing Service once such functionality is implemented. Account Updater will allow merchants to update their customers' eligible card data stored with PayPal to enable seamless processing using: (i) the Recurring Billing Service or (ii) other eligible transactions through the gateway in the future.